Ina Choi

I joined the Second Language Studies Ph.D. Program in fall 2012 after earning an MA in Foreign and Second Language Education at the Ohio State University. I was awarded a full scholarship for graduate study from Inha University in South Korea where I received a BA in English Language Education.
As a graduate assistant, I have worked on survey development and data analysis for Center for Applied Inclusive Teaching and Learning in Arts and Humanities (CAITLAH) for a year. I have also acquired diverse experience in teaching both language and content courses. I taught a Korean language class (LL302: High Intermediate Korean), an introduction to SLA course (LLT 361: Second and Foreign Language Learning) and an online course of English grammar for pedagogical purposes (LLT 346: Pedagogical Grammar).
In addition, I was fortunate to have a wide variety of opportunities to work with professors in diverse areas including second language testing (Dr. Paula Winke), qualitative approaches in Instructed SLA (Dr. Peter De Costa), literacies (Dr. Ellen Cushmane), and incidental vocabulary acquisition while reading (Dr. Aline Godfroid).

My research interests are primarily centered on psycholinguistic approaches to second language vocabulary acquisition. To this end, I am currently investigating incidental and intentional vocabulary learning using a mixed-methods design for my dissertation. Previous researchers have long recognized that incidental and intentional vocabulary learning differ in their effectiveness, but it is unclear whether such differences reflect quantitative or qualitative differences in the underlying cognitive processes. Based on eye-tracking and stimulated recall data, I aim to answer to this critical question, contributing to a growing body of research on the second language vocabulary learning.