Heekyoung Kim

When I first started to learn English at middle school, I knew right away that I loved learning a new language, and that feeling was reconfirmed when German as a second foreign language was added in the curriculum of my high school. I was driven to learn all about the language and was so intrigued in communicating with people from a different culture. It was just natural that I chose English Language and Literature for my major at Sogang University in South Korea. I tasted a little bit of everything of linguistics and literature from English phonology, syntax, pragmatics to Shakespeare, poetry, novels etc.  Those four years of reading led me in a more practical and useful direction for my Master’s degree, English Education from Seoul National University.
I wanted to study second language acquisition from the perspective of language learners. I yearned for understanding the experience of second language learning and what learners bring to the language learning process. In my Ph.D dissertation from Texas A&M University I focused on individual differences in second language acquisition including language anxiety, attitude, motivation, student belief systems, conceptual development and cross-cultural experiences.
My first job after earning my doctoral degree was teaching international graduate students English pronunciation, fluency, and classroom culture and communication skills at Clemson University. I was involved with a variety of testing activities for the international students including general proficiency tests, screening tests such as the SPEAK test, which turned my interests toward testing and assessment.
I feel fortunate to be part of a good team with Dr. Dan Reed and Aaron Ohlrogge in the English Language Center (ELC) Testing Office. Meeting the variety of needs for English language testing on campus and outside of the university requires collaborations and teamwork. Most of the projects get done in cooperation with each other and with many other individuals at the ELC.
As Testing and Assessment Specialist, I oversee the development, production, and administration of the MSUELT, EAP exams, MSU Speaking Test, and Low Level Test. I also manage several aspects of the ELCs testing in Greece twice a year including supervising item writers, developing test booklets, producing test materials, processing the test scores, and reporting the results.
My main duties include collaborating and providing input on the design and development of an innovative online sign-up system for MSU Speaking Tests and ITAOI and developing and managing our use of online item banking software. I remain current on the latest developments in testing and assessment and maintain and develop the technical skills and expertise required to meet the Testing Office needs.